ABOUT THE DIRECTORATE
- The Power Directorate supports the Ministry of Energy in providing oversight responsibility for the Power Sector in Ghana, through effective utilization of the country’s resources in providing power needs of the country for socio-economic development.
- The programmes and projects of the Power Directorate are aimed at achieving Government’s overall developmental Agenda for the Energy Sector.
- Formulation, implementation and monitoring of policies of the power sector in Ghana.
- Provision of power related technical and policy advice to the Ministry.
- Supervision of state-owned public electric utilities, i.e. the Volta River Authority (VRA), Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) and the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) in ensuring adequate, reliable and cost-effective power supply.
- Management of power related programmes and projects by the Ministry of Energy.
- Liaising with other Agencies such as the Energy Commission and the PURC on power related matters.
The Power Sub-sector is unbundled with separate jurisdictions regarding activities of electricity generation, transmission and distribution.